WHY WE SET UP THE CLS PROGRAM
Bar Alpha’s Community Legal Service began after a visit to the Ikoyi Prison with the Femi Fafowora Foundation (FFF). This Non-Governmental Christian Organisation aims at winning souls for Christ and does this through the transformation of the lives of the inmates.
During our visit we met the 3R Club and after listening to the dismal tales we decided to rise up and do something about it! We at Bar Alpha have decided to help these inmates by providing and promoting legal advice and representation for indigent persons unjustly detained in prison.
WHAT DO WE DO?
The CLS Program will provide:
– Legal Advice
– Legal Representation
– Prison Visitation
WHY WE ARE UNIQUE
Accountability: In every matter we handle we will account for every activity we take, be responsible in our actions and disclose results.
Communication: A big issue with the inmates is the fact that their lawyers don’t communicate with them. We will change this!
Cutting-Edge: A very modern outlook with effective planning.
WHAT WE WILL PROVIDE
In partnership with the FF Foundation and the Ikoyi Prison the following will be provided to the legal aid lawyers:
TRANSPORTATION: 1000 Naira will be provided for each court appearance or legal assignment.
SERVICE COSTS: Filing fees, Service charge, photocopying and any costs incidental in defending the matter in court will be provided and accounted for.
WORK EQUIPMENT: A Laptop, a case file, Stationery and an Identification Card will be provided to you.
All you are providing is your skill & Expertise!
HOW DOES IT WORK
- Lawyers will be put in teams and a case will be presented to the team after it has been well reviewed.
- Each team will be led by the LP with the most experience.
- The Accused will be given a notebook to write their experiences with the Lawyers and their court recollections so as to keep them informed about their case.
- Each team will have to present a weekly update of the ongoing case and the information will be relayed to the inmate.
- The ID Cards will allow the lawyer access to libraries, work equipment and costs.
- We will contact lawyers via Email to keep them up to-date and there will be a facebook page where we can discuss matters and issues.